Rabbit Skinning Made Easy

Your five-step guide to rabbit preparation.
Rate Article100%0%

Step 1: Break the skin
Hold the rabbit by the back legs and gather a bunch of skin around an ankle. Twist this skin until it breaks.

Step 2: Get the skin off
Pull the skin down off of the leg. Repeat the process on the other leg. Now work from the rabbit's hips to its head.

Step 3: Remove extremities
Use game shears to remove the rabbit's feet and head.

Step 4: Take the guts out
Make a cut along the rabbit's belly through the rib cage and pelvis. Open the sides of the belly and grasp the windpipe below the severed neck and pull it out.

Step 5: Butcher the meat
Cut under the shoulder blades for the front legs and through the hip sockets for the back legs. For the tenderloins, cut the belly flaps away on both sides. Next, cut through the spine below the rib cage and above the hips on the other end.

from Sadee Lynn Frye wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

Love that way! @ greybear2001

from JAMES09 wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

that link does not work Papica...it takes me to a website that I can not read...some foreign language

from charlescoyne wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Haven't tried skinning yet and I find it interesting and at the same time a bit weird lol I only eat common meat and prepare chicken recipes.

from Jordan13 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

I just hang them on a pole & pll there hide off then cut their head & legs off then put them in the freezer.

from greybeard2001 wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

marker98,
We must be brothers from another mother, I learned the same for skinning. I did learn a different way to gut a rabbit years ago that was good for us in the south. On days it was getting too warm to carry whole rabbits all day you can gut them without cutting them! Grasp them with a hard "choking" grip right under the rib cage and progressively squeeze as hard as you can and continue, "hand under hand" working the "inards" down as you work your way towards the anus. The guts will pass out and a quick "sling" of the rabbit will release the entrals. The result is meat that can stay much cooler than if the guts were left inside.

from marker98 wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

I always found it easier to skin and dress rabbits and squirrel by pinching up skin in the nape of the back, make a small cut (enough to get your fingers into the cut) and pull in both directions toward the head and hind end at the same time. Then cut the feet and head off and dress as suggested in the post.

from Papica wrote 5 years 13 weeks ago

Rabbit skinning from Hungary.

from marker98 wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from greybeard2001 wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

marker98,

from Papica wrote 5 years 13 weeks ago

Rabbit skinning from Hungary.

from Jordan13 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago