Hunter Shoots White Buck in Wisconsin, Starts Local Controversy

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

November 27, 2012
Hunter Shoots White Buck in Wisconsin, Starts Local Controversy - 15

An out-of-town hunter angered Wisconsin locals last weekend by harvesting this white buck near Leland, Wis., reports WSAW.com.

Although albino and all-white deer are protected species in Wisconsin, they're still fair game in Chronic Wasting Disease Management Zones.

The hunt took place in Sauk County, which is a designated region for CWD management.

The opening-day kill may have been legal, but local hunters and residents say the unidentified hunter broke an informal agreement among townspeople to protect Leland's white deer. The surrounding area is home to approximately eight albino and all-white deer, and many locals say these rare animals should be shared by all.

This buck sports a great rack, but you never want to create bad blood among the locals. What do you think? Should these deer be protected or hunted?

Comment below!

from tpifher wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Why protect an albino deer? I have no idea, an albino is on the shallow end of the gene pool. I would like to see a bonus tag for any hunter that brings in an albino. An albino is more likely catch and pass on a disease and I don't want to here that an albino is sterile, that's an old wives tale. If you want a deer herd with less disease then you should not "feel" sympathy for a "special" deer.
If want a healthier deer herd the albino or piebald need to go.
I know this sounds cruel but game mgmt is a science not a emotion.

from JM wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

@outdoorboy,
I like your post. In my opinion it is disrespectful to value an albino deer more than a regular colored deer(this goes for every animal). Plus it has been proven that albino animals are genetically inferior.

from outdoorboy wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

I have read all the comments and remembering my trip to Victoria,BC,Canada in 2009, seeing all that nature has to offer us all in every way for all to enjoy. Photography for me was awesome anywhere I happened to be on any givin day. The animals,ELK,BEAR,MOUNTIAN GOATS,SHEEP,MOOSE,etc. was beautiful, taking lots of pic's along the way. Close call just missing a huge Moose Riding my RoyalStarVenture and that's another story, But I will never ever forget seeing a White Bear,Cinnimon Bear the native Indians call Spirit Bear.I believe this rare White(Cinnimon)Bear cannot be harvested by anyone, The Native Indian too.. The question is, White Deer, anywhere in NorthAmerica, should thay too be protected from being taken from the Wild and NOT put on the table like any other Wild Game Animal.. To me and many others, I too would like to harvest a WhiteDeer, to see on my wall, friends talking about this animal for years to come, also put on my table for a great dinner as well. A photograph of a rare Animal like this is a memory for life too.. This is a very Controversial Question for all to have to make a Decision with any Animal(Animals,Mammals,etc.) that pose a RARE GENETIC GENE, to say YES to that one, and NO to this one, is like voting in an Election, How will this ISSUE be resolved is going to be Head Butting Debate, Without getting the Government,Politicians,Fish and Game Management etc., I can see a very long Process to make a call on this WhiteDeer with all concerned people involved. I do not have the answer, and should I say, it would be right for some, and wrong for others. Best of luck and I know what ever way it goes, you'll not please them all..

from MNwhitetailHunter wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

Well it looks like i know where i am hunting next year!!!
(sarcasm:)

from DaBears wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

If the hunter keeps the deer, and the town makes harvesting white deer illegal in the future then everybody wins!

from Michael Flyte wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

I wonder: would they still be throwing a "hissy fit" if it were a young hunter shooting this buck? Congrats to the hunter who harvested this trophy. Anytime you take a game animal it should be thought of as a trophy. That's one of the reasons why we hunt is it not? to enjoy the outdoors and nature and have a chance at a trophy regardless of size?

from Inspector D wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

An albino is not some rare separate species. It is a genetically mutated whitetail, plain and simple. Should we start protecting bucks with non-typical antlers too just because they are rare? These are the same type of rubes you hear talk about how a certain color labrador is smarter than another just because of the color of it's fur. Every body knows you breed a yellow with a black to make a chocolate lab (**sarcasm**). Ridiculous! Plain and simple, it's a CWD management area so they should be more worried about the HEALTH of their heard and not how pretty it is.

from jcarlin wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

Am I the only one who's going to admit that any legal piebald or albino deer is a trophy in my book, not to mention that nice 12.

from MazPower wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

"Oh no, they're so rare we only have seven left in our local area."

What a bunch of cry-babies, I'm most disappointed by any hunters who joined in this criticism of harvesting that buck.

from JM wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

I hate it when people act like they own a wild animal. The deer was legally killed...no reason to be mad at the hunter(who might not of even known about the "informal agreement".

from schmakenzie wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

All of this racism is killing me.......I am calling Jesse Jackson. (Senior of course.)

from sangcoacc wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

It is my understanding that all white or albino whitetail deer are genetically inferior. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If so, then why are we protecting them at all? Beyond the issue of the color of the deer, this deer was harvested in a CWD zone. "Now residents are demanding the Wisconsin DNR step up its game and improve protection for these unusual whitetails." To propose risking the health of the entire herd to save a handful of white deer is irresponsible.

from kratch wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

A deer is a deer. As long as it is taken legally, which this one was, it should be no big deal.

from elkslayer wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

Shoot it, it is just a deer.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

I will never criticize someone for legally harvesting an animal. People need to chill out about these white deer - they may be white, but they're still just deer.

from JM wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

from kratch wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

from sangcoacc wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

from elkslayer wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

Shoot it, it is just a deer.

from MazPower wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

"Oh no, they're so rare we only have seven left in our local area."

from Inspector D wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

from schmakenzie wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

from Michael Flyte wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

from outdoorboy wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

from JM wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

@outdoorboy,

from MNwhitetailHunter wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

Well it looks like i know where i am hunting next year!!!
(sarcasm:)

from tpifher wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

If want a healthier deer herd the albino or piebald need to go.
I know this sounds cruel but game mgmt is a science not a emotion.

from DaBears wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago