User logins have been temporarily disabled for scheduled maintenance of the site. Please check back later.

Big Buck Alert: Potential Kansas Archery State Record

December 02, 2013
Big Buck Alert: Potential Kansas Archery State Record - 8

Louisiana native Mark Alexander, 53, took a weeklong hunting trip in northwest Kansas this month and returned home with a potential state record. Alexander harvested this giant typical whitetail on Nov. 5 while hunting with Red Dog Outfitters in Sheridan County, Kan. The monster bruiser's unofficial score measured just 2/8 of an inch more than the current first place archery buck. Here's how the amazing hunt went down.

Alexander hunted with Red Dog Outfitters for the first time last year when he took his biggest buck at the time, a 152-inch bruiser. This season Alexander returned with his son and his son's friend to hunt with owner Tim Clark. One of Clark's game cameras had captured photos of the buck a month prior to the hunt. "When I found it, it was one of those deer that I knew was a giant deer but I couldn't tell how big he was. I never saw him again," Clark said. "I started calling him the lottery buck."

On the day of the hunt, Clark dropped Alexander's son's friend, Jared Persick, off at his stand. They found a telephone-pole sized rub nearby and knew bucks must be around. Just as Clark prepared to leave, they saw a buck stand up 30 yards away.

"It was the biggest animal I've ever seen in my life on the hoof, as far as a whitetail is concerned," Clark said.

Back at camp, Alexander was eating lunch when he learned about the buck sighting. Clark told him over the phone to drop everything, get to his stand, and not come back until dark. Alexander was hunting a 50-yard woodlot along a creek bottom, and he climbed into his double stand by 1 p.m. The temperature was in the 30s with frequent 40 mph wind gusts. In his hurry to hit the field, Alexander had grabbed his wet clothes from that morning's hunt, and he was freezing. By 3:30 p.m. he thought he couldn't take it anymore. "I was shaking so bad I said, 'If a deer comes by I'm never going to be able to hit it. I'm going to get down,'" Alexander said.

He put on another layer, but that didn't help for long. All the deer he could see were bedded down, including two yearlings about 100 yards in front of him. "I started letting my bow down, and as soon as my bow touched the ground, I looked up to see if I spooked those yearlings," Alexander said. "Which I knew I wouldn't because the wind was blowing so hard, but I looked up anyway. And here comes this monster at about 100 yards."

Alexander quickly hauled his bow back up and leaned around the cottonwood in front of him. The buck was making a scrape, and Alexander knew he had a few extra seconds to prepare for a shot. He removed his quiver and checked on the buck again. It was 40 yards and closing.

"There were a bunch of things going through my mind," Alexander said. "This deer was a giant at 100 yards, I know what he's going to look like when I see him close. So I just got ready and when he popped out he was between eight and ten steps from me. The first thing I thought of was, 'That's a 200-inch deer.'"

Alexander knew the buck wouldn't see him draw in such heavy wind. "I remember my sight behind his shoulder and I squeezed the trigger," Alexander said. "It was like the arrow was in slow motion. When the arrow hit him I saw blood come out."

The buck ran 60 yards off the field and started stumbling sideways. He made it 10 more yards before piling up. "It was an unbelievable feeling…I've never felt that before," Alexander said. "And I've killed many deer with a bow."

Alexander immediately called Clark, then Persick, who was about 300 yards away in his own stand. By the time Alexander packed up his gear and climbed down, Persick had already reached the downed buck and was jumping up and down.

"The only thing that would have been better is if my son would have killed it," Alexander said. "It's amazing that I got a shot on that size deer and everything came together, because you know a lot of times things don't always come together. But everything came together that day."

Clark said this buck was a giant compared to the bucks he usually sees on the property. "It's cool that we have him and I'm really happy," Clark said. "But at the end of the day, I don't care if the deer is a number one or a number 121. A special deer made this guy's life probably. You'll never see another buck like that on the hoof."

The taxidermist, an official state scorer, determined a gross green score of 208 7/8 inches and an unofficial green score of 194 1/8 inches. The Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism tracks big Kansas whitetails, and their current first place archery buck measured 193 7/8 inches. That buck was taken in Wabaunsee County in 2001.

"It was just one of those once-in-a-lifetime hunts," Alexander said. "I'll never forget it, I can tell you that."

Correction: February 21, 2014
An earlier version of this article misstated the location of the hunt. It took place in northwest Kansas; not northeast.

from Frank Rebarchek wrote 33 weeks 5 days ago

CONGRATULATIONS to Mark on such a fine buck which is to be cherished for a life time congrats

from RDW wrote 33 weeks 5 days ago

Gut shot? Are you serious? Have you ever even shot a deer?
Blood in the nostrils tells me the deer was hit hard in the lungs, just cause the wound is back doesn't mean "gut shot". Maybe the deer was quatering away. Seriously some of you guys are hard to figure out. Jeremy thinks NR hunters shouldn't be allowed in Kansas...Well maybe we should only allow residents of Arizona to visit the Grand Canyon. We are all sportsmen and residents of the USA. As long as it's fair chase and the State recieved their permit and liscence fees then it should be all good.
Congratulations to Mr. Alexander on a great buck.

from Cecil8 wrote 33 weeks 5 days ago

Ah yes, the thrill of gut shooting a deer and watching him stumble off to collapse and die. It's the stuff we can only dream about.

from jraywheat wrote 33 weeks 6 days ago

Yes, that is a great buck. We all have our own style of hunting and we don't always agree with the way others do things, running dogs verses still hunting, crossbows verses compounds, verses traditional, etc. If you don't like the way someone else hunts, you don't have to do it that way. The bottom line is that we all need to pull together as hunters. Jeremy, you don't ever have to go out of state to hunt if you don't want to. Congratulations to Mark Alexander for taking such a great buck.

from Randy Willis wrote 33 weeks 6 days ago

Jeremy Elling you should be CONGRATULATING Mr. Mark for taking such a beautiful KANSAS STATE RECORD BUCK instead of being sorry and jealous over a deer you will never in your life get.

from Randy Willis wrote 33 weeks 6 days ago

from Jeremy Elling wrote 33 weeks 6 days ago

That is to bad a non resident shot such a nice buck. That is not hunting it is just shooting when you come from out of state and shoot such an amazing animal in just a few days! Kansas needs to stop alowing non resident hunters!!!

from Brian Gaugler wrote 33 weeks 6 days ago

Killed in NW Kansas, not NE

from Randy Willis wrote 33 weeks 6 days ago

from Randy Willis wrote 33 weeks 6 days ago

from jraywheat wrote 33 weeks 6 days ago

from Frank Rebarchek wrote 33 weeks 5 days ago

from Brian Gaugler wrote 33 weeks 6 days ago

Killed in NW Kansas, not NE

from RDW wrote 33 weeks 5 days ago

Gut shot? Are you serious? Have you ever even shot a deer?
Congratulations to Mr. Alexander on a great buck.

from Cecil8 wrote 33 weeks 5 days ago