Father Stabs Mountain Lion With Pocket Knife to Save Son

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

February 08, 2012
Father Stabs Mountain Lion With Pocket Knife to Save Son - 7

On Sunday 6-year-old Rivers Hobbs, was ambushed by a mountain lion in Texas’ Big Bend National Park. Rivers and his parents were walking from a lodge back to their hotel room when the lion pounced on the boy, slashing him in the face.

Luckily the boy’s father was able to knock the cat off Rivers by stabbing it repeatedly in the side with a pocket knife, according to www.myfoxaustin.com.

The boy survived, but needed 17 stitches on the side of his face.

“It sneaked up on me,” said Hobbs.

Another family who had also been attacked warned them about the lion earlier in the day. They were originally going to camp out, but after hearing the news, decided it was best to go to the hotel. Park Rangers said the animal will be killed if located.

from puffy wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

I’d like to know why the warning came from another family, and not park personnel. It would also make me feel better if the Rangers had stated the animal would be dispatched “when” it was found, rather than “if”. Seventeen stitches on the side of the head is an awful lot for a 6-year old. Big Bend is a beautiful place, didn’t see any cats while I was there last year.

from Bob Hansen wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Hi...

Glad that the father had the presence of mind to fight it off.

Another good reason to at least carry bear spray.

from buriti wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Although any knife is better than bare knucles, this just reinforces the good sense to carry a gun in the woods.

Please, read my blog at http://awildbeastatheart.blogspot.com

from Nathan Pinney wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

At Gaviota State Park on the central coast of CA there are signs posted on the trails about not hiking or biking alone because of mountain lions. I've had a couple of them run out in front of my truck at night close to there,

from Dcast wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Mazpower, actually this isn't that uncommon. Runners & Hikers in Cali. know this to be a problem. I also watched a show on this exact topic on the animal planet I believe last year where it happened according to reports quite often. They stated in most cases just like in this case that it typically happened to children.

from MazPower wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Wow, Cougar attacks are very rare. My guess is a young, underweight male whose trying to establish/find his own territory.

Hope the kid makes it through okay.

from officerdom1987 wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

This is a crazy story! The part I love the most is that it was a pocket knife, not some $400.00 knife that is in the new knives preview on here.

from officerdom1987 wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from Nathan Pinney wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from buriti wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Please, read my blog at http://awildbeastatheart.blogspot.com

from puffy wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

from MazPower wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Hope the kid makes it through okay.

from Dcast wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from Bob Hansen wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Hi...

Glad that the father had the presence of mind to fight it off.

Another good reason to at least carry bear spray.