Mule Deer Cartridges: The 7mms

July 13, 2012
Mule Deer Cartridges: The 7mms - 5

If forced to pick one caliber of bullets to use for mule deer, I’d have to give the nod to the 7mms.

While I’ve used everything from quarter-bores up to .338s on mulies with excellent results, the family of 7mm cartridges brings a combination of accuracy, killing power and long-range effectiveness that is hard to top.

The classic 7mm for hunting the West is the 7mm Rem. Mag. Now in it’s 51st year, the 7mm Rem. Mag. is still the standard by which other 7mms are judged. It shoots flat, hits hard and has a sleek, sexy profile that speaks to its speed.

I used a 7mm Rem. Mag. last fall on a Colorado mule deer hunt, shooting the 150-grain Swift Scirocco, which zips out of the muzzle at a brisk 3,110 fps. The shot, at just under 300 yards, was not a tough one for the 7mm Rem. Mag. and the 180-class buck wouldn’t have dropped any faster if he had been hit by a piano.

The 7mm Rem. Mag. enjoys the company of numerous speedy cousins, such as the 7mm Wby. Mag., the 7mm WSM, and the 7mm STW—capable cartridges all and each able to deliver killing shots at long range.

Stepping down a notch, the .280 Rem. launches a 140-grain bullet at 3,000 fps and will take a mule deer past 400 yards if you’re comfortable with that shot.

Even the 7mm-08 Rem., which delivers a 140-grain bullet at 2,850 fps will kill mule deer at anything short of extreme range, assuming the rifle being used is capable of sufficient accuracy.

There’s nothing magic about the 7mm bullets, but they do hit a ballistic sweet spot that makes them so effective. Typical 7mm hunting bullets range in weight from 120 to 150 grains, have high ballistic coefficients and good sectional densities. This gives them ample smashing power and flat trajectories especially when driven at or near 3,000 fps, as most of the cartridges mentioned here will do.

More on Mule Deer Cartridges…
- Mule Deer Cartridges: The .30 Magnums
- .257 Weatherby: The Quintessential Mule Deer Cartridge
- Mule Deer Cartridges: The Old Standards

from Pup49 wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

I have about 30 rifles in various cartridges. If I was forced to use only one for the lower 48, it would be 7mm Rem. mag.

from X2DKkiller wrote 2 years 2 days ago

Marksman, I live in Idaho. The longest shot I have took on a muledeer was a shade over 500yrds, the average is 300.

from marksman wrote 2 years 2 days ago

280 Remington...... Now your talking John. Been shooting one for near 30 years. Great ballistics and energy on the business end and doesn't beat the crap out of ya on the other.

For 25-06 guy and X2D..... 2 holes on opposite sides of the animal is nothing more than wasted energy. Bring your super magnums out west and lets play at some extended ranges......all day long.

from 25-06 guy wrote 2 years 2 days ago

No notes on the 7mm Ultra Mag spitting a 150gr pill at over 3300fps smokes any of the factory calibers.

from X2DKkiller wrote 2 years 3 days ago

The 7mmWBY will stomp them all hands down. The 7mm Rem doesn't even come close to the WBY or STW and the WBY and STW are about the same. I have done some amazing things with my 7mmWBY you cant beat it. Long range perfomance and a sh&% of energy when it gets there.

from marksman wrote 2 years 2 days ago