Biggest Buck Ever?

January 26, 2010
Biggest Buck Ever? - 21

I apologize in advance if this photo has already made the rounds, but can you blame me? Look at this pig of a deer! Someone call Jenny Craig and see if this brute fell off the wagon. Reportedly shot in northwestern Ontario in 2009, the message on this E-mail photo states that the buck weighed an incredible 440 pounds before field-dressing. This deer weighs as much as a cow elk if the numbers are true.

Even if the E-mail’s originator is stretching the truth, the buck is a true heavyweight in the belly department and in the rack department. I’d bet a Thompson Center Venture that the bases on that buck are closer to 8 inches in circumference than 6 inches. And talk about circumferences; look at the mass this buck carries all along the main beam and up every tine. If the buck had a G4 on his left side his net score would be as scary as his obvious aversion for a fat-free diet.

How big can a whitetail get these days? With the craze in micro management, food plots and pouring supplement to wild, and high fence whitetails, this deer may not be the biggest on the block for long. Despite the ability to feed whitetails like hogs in a confinement facility, some very large bucks have come from the wilds. I flipped through the pages of Leonard Lee Rue’s book “The Deer of North America” and found these statistics. In 1962 Iowa hunter Dean Coffman shot a 440-pound buck that was weighed before witnesses and a biologist from the Iowa State Conservation Commission verified the number.

One of the largest bucks to ever hit the scales came from Minnesota in 1926. Carl J. Lenander, Jr. was hunting with his father near Tofte when he dropped a buck with a single shot while hunting from a stand. The buck field-dressed at 402 pounds and the Minnesota Conservation Department officially calculated the live weight at 511 pounds. According to Lee Rue’s book, Minnesota recognizes it as the largest whitetail ever killed in the state and likely one of the largest ever taken in North America.

Someone pass me another venison steak. There are plenty to go around with Bubbas like this walking the woods.

from Kevin DeLong wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Any deer that is fed steroids laced food to become a monster buck. Should be disqualified from any mention what so ever. It is like the records of MLB during the steroid seasons completely worthless. It is coming to the point where before any deers are certified we will have to do testing for steroids and growth enhancers. There is no way in the wild a deer is 7 foot tall weighing 400 lbs. After 40 years of deer hunting the top buck I ever saw taken in the wild by anyone weighed 360 lbs.

from HawgNSons.Com wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

That is a Hawg!

from boof wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

This is stupid. The guy isnt wearing any camo at all, what a sportsman.

from Big O wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Either that is a HUGH deer or that guy is a dwarf ! (sorry little people)

from matakis wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I dont think people commenting realize that the deer in the picture is from a fenced in deer farm. Yes deer get big in the wild but the one pictured was not wild.

See the first comment under the story.

from Redtail Hunter wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I hunted in Canada and my deer a nice 12 point buck field dressed at 298 and my hunting partners was 305 and I saw larger deer with lots bigger racks,, just too far out of range to shoot. Maybe next time @@ :)))

from MWK_MN wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Flatbed, I don't think I would support letting some in the wild. I for one would feel like my trophy buck I just shot was tainted if I knew it's daddy or granddaddy was released from a farm. It wouldn't give me as much satisfaction as the other bucks I have taken. Just my two cents.

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Never thought the rise of the synthetic hunter would bring about manufactured deer.
This is taking place in my state. I didn't know but it is time to do something about it. Game animals belong to all they are not the toys a few.

from Dirty wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

The only pen-raised deer that I believe should exist is for research. I think hunting a pen-raised deer is discusting. Please respect the game we hunt by giving it a chance to escape. I HUNT 100% FREE RANGING ANIMALS !!!!!!!
I am a hunter, not a shooter..............

from MWK_MN wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

This story makes me sick. Whoever would pay that money for a fake trophy needs some help. Now every time I see a massive deer in the paper or on here I have to think first that it more than likely could be high fenced raise. Go get a clue and don't for a second call your self a hunter if you choose to go to such a place. You are pathetic.

from MN Pants wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

What happened to respecting the animals you harvest? Go to their website and watch the video. One of those poor bucks couldn't even hold up his head from the weight of his antlers. Thats a disgusting way to treat an animal the rest of us true hunters respect.

from patrick88 wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

that is a cow not a deer!

from hunter1464 wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Having never heard of wilderness whitetails I clicked the link provided by mb915. The first thing I noticed in the trophy gallery was the very first buck pictured. It is the same buck in the original body photo. Two things pop out. First of all the bucks body seems much more in proportion in this photo. Second, if prices listed are based on gross score then this "hunter" paid well beyond $10,000.00 and probably closer to $20,000.00 to be the proud killer of this pen raised deer. There are some things in this world that money shouldnt be able to buy and a trophy whitetail should be well up on that list.

from 6phunter wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

The first fact about trophy bucks is that they all have individual traits and habits,and just like people they come in all sizes.I"ve never met SHAQUILLE O"NEAL but I know he exist. Good job MARK ''' The truth is always stranger than fiction and for years I'VE been researhing heavy weight deer and you're facts are correct.I hope one day I'LL BE PREPARED WHEN shaq arrives . 6p hunter

from Flatbed wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

My thought is turn some of these loose so we can get the genetics into some wild deer. Give everbody a chance for a BIG boy. Of course they may not make a full year without the creep feed.

from pjsabella wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

So true MB915 so true

from jamesti wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

no way am i gonna believe in a 440lb deer! no way!

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Great link mb915, not only is this buck pictured there but several other bucks from other spam emails with bogus stories.

from matakis wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

The people that hunt on these deer farms are in my opinion fake hunters. There is no skill involved to hunt these farm raised animals. I met a guy who owns a deer farm. The only call he needs to bring the deer in to him is a can with some corn in it. This is probably the same call you could use on this preserve. This big deer was probably a big fan of the corn.

from mb915 wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Wilderness Whitetails is located in Central WI, so since no info in the emails I to have recieved is correct about this buck, I would venture to guess the weight is inaccurate. But you are correct in your assumption that with deer farms, we are just starting to see some genetic freaks in the next few years. Hopefully these type of deer are not the downfall of hunting as we know it.

from mb915 wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Mark,

The reason this buck is so big is because it was raised on a game farm and hunting preserve. I am not good at judging B&C scores of deer, but if this guy is a 170 B&C, this deer was raised and then someone paid $10,000 to shoot him. Does not really sound like real hunting to me. Sounds a lot like going to farmer bobs farm, picking out the cattle I want steaks from and shooting it.

If you click on trophy gallery, it will be the four rows down and three over to the right.

from matakis wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from hunter1464 wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from Dirty wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I am a hunter, not a shooter..............

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from mb915 wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Mark,

from mb915 wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

no way am i gonna believe in a 440lb deer! no way!

from pjsabella wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

So true MB915 so true

from 6phunter wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from MN Pants wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from MWK_MN wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from MWK_MN wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from Redtail Hunter wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from Flatbed wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from matakis wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

See the first comment under the story.

from patrick88 wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

that is a cow not a deer!

from Big O wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Either that is a HUGH deer or that guy is a dwarf ! (sorry little people)

from boof wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago

This is stupid. The guy isnt wearing any camo at all, what a sportsman.

from HawgNSons.Com wrote 4 years 10 weeks ago