Tyler Freel is a Staff Writer for Outdoor Life. He lives in Fairbanks, Alaska and has been covering a variety of topics for OL for more than a decade. From backpack sheep hunting adventure stories to DIY tips to gear and gun reviews, he covers it all with a perspective that’s based in experience. Freel is never one to shy away from controversial topics. He’s responsive to readers on OL’s social channels and happy to answer questions, debate opinions, and squash trolls.
- Expertise and interests include hunting Alaskan game including mountain sheep and goats, bears, moose, and caribou. He’s also experienced in trapping, recreational and competitive shooting, rifles, handguns, and traditional archery
- Enjoys writing narrative adventure stories, gear profiles, and opinion pieces
- Previous work experience: Mechanical insulator in the construction industry and part-time fur handler. He’s also written for Bear Hunting Magazine, American Hunter, Gun Digest, and Field Ethos Journal
Freel was noticed on Outdoor Life’s user forum page of back in 2010 and began his outdoor media career writing OL’s Live Hunt blog in 2011. Since then, he’s continued to add to his subject matter experience, and honed his voice as a writer. He’s been DIY hunting for Dall sheep and other Alaskan game for nearly 20 years, and has been a competitive shooter in various forms, earning the Distinguished Rifleman Badge in Service Rifle. He enjoys trapping, ice fishing, and is an expert fur, hide, and cape handler.
Freel graduated from the University of Alaska Fairbanks with a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
Words of Wisdom
“Never trust bears, brand-new boots, or breathable rain gear.”
- The Feds May Close 60 Million Acres of Alaska Public Land to “Sport Hunters.” And Yeah, That Probably Means You Outdoor Life
- Eat What You Kill…Except When You Don’t Outdoor Life
- Killing a Grizzly the Old-Fashioned Way: With a Longbow and Stone-Point Arrowhead Outdoor Life
- How Hard Does Hunting Have to Be? Outdoor Life
- 10 Rams in 12 Years: Lessons in Sheep Hunting Outdoor Life
- The Spirit Bear: Monster Interior Grizzly with a Recurve Bow Outdoor Life
- The Dall Sheep That Almost Killed Me Outdoor Life